Re: Linux, UDI and SCO.

Benny Amorsen (amorsen@sscnet.com)
20 Sep 1998 10:53:00 +0200

BG> They can point all they want. The truth of the matter, however,
BG> will be that the kernel source is open and available for perusal.
BG> If they are going to make accusations like that, then they had
BG> better be prepared to quote source filenames and line numbers
BG> where it is supposedly a kernel bug, or their credibility will be
BG> damaged even further.

Go to <URL: http://www.equinox.com/tech/ftp_sst2.htm#a7>, look for
"kernel bug". Anyone who advocates binary-only drivers should be
forced to try to get an Equinox SST card working on 2.0.35.

In this case the driver is even available as Intel assembly code,
obviously made by gcc.

BG> I for one would think twice about buying from a manufacturer who
BG> released a binary only UDI driver, were unwilling to even put
BG> enough effort into that to get as many bugs out as possible, and
BG> then went and blamed their incompetency/lack of testing on others.

Well I guess (and hope) Equinox haven't sold many cards to Linux
users.

Benny