Re: Today Linus redesigns the networking driver interface (was Re: tulip driver in ...)

Donald Becker (becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 03:16:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Note that "dropping" was meant to be more generic than just dropping a
> packet. We can decide to drop packets proactively by just deciding to
> disable the interface completely for a while, to make sure it doesn't
> flood us with interrupts. That's obviously fairly extreme, but it might be
> the simplest answer (the driver could even decide on its own to disable
> itself if it sees overlong backlog queues, as long as we'd have some way
> of enabling it again when the queue empties - by a timer or something).

I'm reluctant to put this functionality in every driver unless it's
required. A better case can be made if the underlying hardware supports
flow control. (Note: it's often not easy to trigger flow control in
software. The best way is to let the Rx buffers run dry, which means 16 or
32 more Rx packets.)

I think you've made a good case that the Rx packet overload might be better
solved by limiting the bottom half work. I was guessing that it was the
interrupt handler work that was causing the problem. I should have
questioned that assumption -- my own measurements indicate the driver Rx
code doesn't consume a lot of CPU time.

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD. 20771
301-286-0882 http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html