Re: Linux, UDI and SCO.

David Feuer (feuer@his.com)
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 17:30:52 -0400

Khimenko Victor wrote:

Snippity snap

> Yes. But this will effectively mean for hardware manufacturers that they are
> forced to publish specs for their hardware. I'm not think that manufacturers
> will be happy to do this :-(( Of course this is the only disadvantage for
> manufacturers but look like some of them REALLY hate to give away specs...

Yes, but why? It seems to me that anyone who is seriously considering
reverse-endineering the hardware to steal secrets is more than capable
of doing so without the specs. Or by taking a snoop at what the driver
is doing. Or by millions of other ways I know nothing about. Require
LGPL!

--
/  David Feuer			\