Re: Linux, UDI and SCO.

Bob Taylor (brtaylor@inreach.com)
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 14:15:17 -0700

In message <m0zKOOC-000aQwC@the-village.bc.nu>, Alan Cox writes:

[snip]

> Vendors will use their dollars (actually a percentage of your dollars ;))
> to write drivers when it makes commercial sense. Its up to the userbase
> to make it commercial sense.

Agree. However, it makes no commercial sense to hide data required for
someone else to write a driver. After all, it doesn't cost the manufacturer
one cent and they gain sales. This is why they are in business in the first
place.
This garbage about their design--haven't they heard about patents?

> And especially with new machines users have a lot of clout. Several UK
> suppliers now carry Buslogic cards partly because they got fed up of
>
> "I'd like to order a dual PII/300, 256Mb of RAM, 17" monitor
> 4 4Gig IBM disks, and a buslogic scsi controller"
> "We dont do buslogic only adaptec"
> "Nothing else"
> "Sorry"
> [Click]

This elitist, arogant attitude burns me up! I sincerely wish *every*
business that does this fails miserably and quickly.

Bob

| Bob Taylor             Email: brtaylor@inreach.com            |
| Like the ad says, at 300 dpi you can tell she's wearing a     |
| swimsuit. At 600 dpi you can tell it's wet. At 1200 dpi you   |
| can tell it's painted on. I suppose at 2400 dpi you can tell  |
| if the paint is giving her a rash. (So says Joshua R. Poulson)|