RE: This is rather odd ( was Re: Linux, UDI, SCO, & INTEL )

Sid Boyce (szb50@amdahl.com)
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 19:21:50 +0000

Terry Ridder wrote:

> Hello;
>
> My daughter just reminding me of the event where SCO sent
> letters out to Linux users bashing Linux as unstable, etc.

It showed they were rattled. It's not the unkindest thing to be uttered about
Linux. About 3 years ago, myself and two other linuxers were at a networking
exhibition, so we stopped to have a look and chat with the guy on the SCO stand
who proudly put out his chest and told us in a pretty condescending way that no
one would seriously run linux for serious stuff, he drew back in his chest when
I told him that in that case, NASA, Georgia Power etc., etc., don't run serious
or critical stuff.

> She finds it rather humouress that now SCO is via Project
> UDI depending on the Linux Community as the "key" to UDI
> adoption.

One thing I've learned in Computers, is that the unthinkable of today is the
practice of tomorrow. That's why I just have a laugh at some of the current
comments in the press, most of which have mellowed substantially over a period.
I expect amny more to come around and explain that when last they made their
comments, Linux wasn't quite what it has become.
SCO did issue a retraction/apology, but I regard even negative comments an
advantage to Linux, it gets the name known and goads people who otherwise
wouldn't have bothered, to try it themselves. I have one instance here in the UK
where a few guys who had never heard the name before they saw it in the packet
radio newsgroups, were very anti, with comments like "Boy's Own Unix", to UK
people it conjures up the very old and now defunct "Boy's Own Comic"
connotation. The thread died when these guy realised that they were the best
recruiting seargents Linux had amongst radio hams, with guys saying that if they
were so against it, it must be something that deserves a look at.

> She wonders also if this has anything to do with the continued
> downward slide of the SCO stock price.

Where SCO and Microsoft are vulnerable to an extent that IBM isn't/wasn't, is
that they make only software. If they were in control of both the software and
hardware, they could run us ragged with architectural changes to both and stay
alive.

> She suggests that those of you who are interested checkout
>
> http://www.sco.com/investor/
>
> once there click on Charts, once at the NASDAQ Web Page
> click on 72 month chart.

> Remembering now the Linux bashing letter from SCO marketing
> I do find it extremely humouress that they now see the Linux
> Community as a "key" element to Project UDI success.
>
> Perhaps there is justice after all. ;-)
There is a conveyor belt and if it's moving, people's perspectives are changed
for them depending on the speed of it, whether they like it or not.
Regards

--
... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(Europe)...44-121 422 0375
-------	E.R (Trademark) owned by me ------------