Re: Linux Community & UDI is in the news

Raymond A. Ingles (inglesra@frc.com)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 16:29:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, David Lang wrote:

> but if the driver developers decide that they will not allow their work to
> be used by the "evil commercial" platforms they will not do this.
>
> David Lang
>
> On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Raymond A. Ingles wrote:
> >
> > Well, the drivers *could* be released under the LGPL (Library GPL) like
> > glibc, which allows linking to, and use by, non-GPL software.

Yup, the driver authors are free to put restrictions on their code. I
never denied that. I just noted that a license existed which would protect
the code from being wantonly copied while also allowing it to be used by
non-GPL operating systems. Whether any driver author is likely to use them
is an open question.

Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (248) 377-7735 ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

"Engineering is like having an 8 a.m. class and a late afternoon lab
every day for the rest of your life." - Anonymous