Re: Interesting scheduling times

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 22:53:52 -0700

Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 22:52:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, David S. Miller wrote:
> Ulrich refused to accept that argument, saying "What if Linus
> changes that someday?"

Ok, let's do something that all parties can live with:
- the the AT_FPUCW entry doesn't exist, Ulrich defaults to the state that
has been cleared with "fninit" (apply applicable "normal default value"
for all architectures)
- if the AT_FPUCW entry exists, Ulrich can use that instead.

Ulrich has to do something like the above anyway, as no current kernel
will have the AT_FPUCW entry.

For -lieee he cannot do that.

Anyways, you've just officially sanctioned the first part as a
"externally visible userland ABI provided by kernel" and if that isn't
enough for Ulrich to accept it as such and unchanging, then I give up
too and I will distribute modified glibcs on Sparc to my users which
don't have this braindamage in the libc code.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com