Re: Interesting scheduling times

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:08:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Actually, after some further testing, I get the same result! The first
> time it's faster, then subsequent runs are slower (when using RT
> processes). For non-RT processes, the times are stable. Strange.

I haven't even looked at the benchmark you seem to be talking about - I
use "lmbench" myself which I trust to be reasonably realistic. It
certainly showed an effect of my FPU screwup, although it's not all that
large on any reasonable system (it's probably horrible on a i386/i387
combination where FP operations are slower).

lmbench uses a set of pipes and passes a token around to force scheduling,
and that should work fine. I'd be nervous about any other kind of
scheduling benchmark.

Linus