Re: Linux Community & UDI is in the news

Raymond A. Ingles (inglesra@frc.com)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:52:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Terry L Ridder wrote:
[...]
> 2. I raised this question in the first discussion of UDI on this
> mailing list. There is no way that UDI drivers which are
> GNU GPL'ed can be used in Commercial UNIX distributions unless the
> original authors release the source code under two very different
> software licenses. Given the responses I received from the original
> discussion this seems extremely remote.

Well, the drivers *could* be released under the LGPL (Library GPL) like
glibc, which allows linking to, and use by, non-GPL software.

Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (248) 377-7735 ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

"Economies don't like step functions." - Dr. Leonard Bieman