Re: Linux Kernel Wish-List

ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 14:29:48 +0200

On Fri, Sep 18, 1998 at 08:23:29PM +1000, Benjamin Grosman wrote:

> The Linux Kernel Wish List contains the following item:
>
> Java or Forth interpreter in kernel for device drivers. This lets vendors
> write binary drivers that will work for Intel, Alpha, and whatever else
> uses the same bus. An interpreted driver without source code is better
> than no driver at all.
>
> A few questions on this then:
>
> 1) Is this a serious wish?
> 2) If so, has any work been put into it at all? What is the progress?

Funny that you're asking .. Recently I ported a Forth interpreter to run as
standalone program on the ARC firmware of a MIPS machine and since
today as a loadable module as well. The interpreter I use is pforth,
a very easy to port Forth public domain implementation than can be hacked to
run standalong or in very alien environments like Linux kernel very easily.

In both cases I did it for hacking value, but if anybody got real use
for it, go ahead. In any case real device drivers, that is not on a
firmware of a board just used for limited purposes like booting should
be implemented using real code.

Ralf