Re: showstopper race condition in sync() ??? [2.1.119|120]

Cyrille Chepelov (chepelov@rip.ens-cachan.fr)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:58:46 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> The activity just prior to the sync is not significant: the previous
> filesystem calls are just writing back to the buffer cache, and all of
> those changes don't hit disk until the sync().
>
> Could you find the "wchan" of the stalled process and look it up in

Bill: Great intuition !!

Stephen: it stalled in wait_on_dquota(). Among other oddities :
* top reports the machine is 98% idle, but the loadavg rises close
to 1.0.
* My only quota-enabled partitions are /home and /var/spool/mail.
/ is not.

I'll try to write a fix monday, but I'd not count on my own code for
kernel matters <grin />

-- Cyrille