Re: STREAMS: interface versus implementation

Zack Weinberg (zack@rabi.columbia.edu)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:55:35 -0400

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 23:08:58 -0600, Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com> wrote:
> : Theodore Y. Ts'o writes:
> : > Does anyone know of any significant base of application code that
> : > really does use Streams instead of a BSD Sockets-type interface?
>
> "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
> : AFAIK it is used by boring business software. It's the stuff people
> : might need, not the stuff people have fun with. Software that runs
> : on gross systems like SCO OpenServer could be ported to Linux.
>
> This doesn't answer the question. Please list by name the software
> applications (not counting drivers) which use STREAMS. Thanks.

I've asked the LiS people to go find such a list. If and when they find
one, we'll work on a user-space emulation library and/or a kernel module.
Until then I'll concentrate on getting ANK's TLI-over-sockets into libc.

zw