Re: this SUCKS.

Jauder Ho (jauderho@carumba.com)
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 03:13:29 -0700 (PDT)

I aplogize if I am wrong. But as I remember the sequence of events was
that Tom broke a whole bunch of stuff maybe under Alan's direction
although I remember Alan saying he had nothing to do with it as I
submitted the patches back to Alan. however that is in the past. On the
other hand, now that Linux is in much wider distribution, what I am saying
is that we should carefully consider userland visible changes to the API
before changing it even when it is obviously the "right thing". #ifdef
although I know how much Linus hates those. Heck make it a generic
config option. CONFIG_LAME_WORKAROUND_FOR_VENDOR

A simple heads up to the vendors might be enough or like I said, put in a
shoot yourself in the foot option for retaining old behaviour and remove
it in X amount of time which gives commercial software companies some room
to manuver around in. We have to remember they can't move/change as fast
we do. We need them as much as they need us if they even want to consider
a non MS alternative.

Okay, anyone want to step up and as liason between kernel developers and
commercial userland Linux producing companies?

--Jauder