Re: Interesting scheduling times

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 09:51:07 +1000

Erik Andersen writes:
> On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:
>
> > Hi, all. I've been playing around with measuring Linux context
> > switch times, and I noticed something curious: a Pentium/MMX 200 is
> > doing much better than a PPro 180. Furthermore, a PPro 180 isn't doing
> > heaps better than a Pentium 100.
> >
> > all times in microseconds for UP machines.
> >
> > Do these times seem a little odd to people?
>
> Maybe you should run them all using the same kernel, so we see an
> "apples-to-apples" comparison. I lot has happened during the last
> 20 kernel releases...

OK:

CPU process switch thread switch Kernel version
Pentium 100 12 12 2.1.109
Pentium 100 19 9 2.1.122-pre2
PPro 180 8 4 2.1.122-pre2
Pentium/MMX 200 6 2 2.1.122-pre2
Pentium/MMX 200 4 2 2.1.104

Even more interesting: 2.1.122-pre2 is slower for process switching
and is faster for thread switching than 2.1.104/2.1.109.

Regards,

Richard....