Re: FS idea

Feuer (feuer@his.com)
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:23:51 -0400

Theo Van Dinter wrote:

> | I think it would be nice to add in a kernel feature to allow the kernel
> | to interface with userspace programs to provide fs support for certain
> | filesystems.  There are three kinds of filesystems that (in my opinion)
> | this would be really nice for.
>
> wouldn't that simply be a kernel module?

No. It wouldn't.  Kernel modules are rather harder to write and deal with.
Support for them must be compiled into the kernel.  If I'm not mistaken (and I
don't know much about modules), it could be somewhat difficult to implement a
generic compressed filesystem (e.g. supports ext2, msdos, and anything else).
But most importantly userspace things are easier for users to deal with.  I don't
want to have to learn the modules interface.