Re: tulip driver in 2.1.11* - 2.1.21 is broken - new driver

First Spirit Sauron (sauron@angband.ee.ualberta.ca)
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:04:45 -0600

On Sun, Sep 13, 1998 at 12:27:43PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> That just doesn't make sense.. x86 changes I could imagine blaming on the
> irq.c changes (and even that I'd have a hard time doing), but that file
> isn't even used on m68k..

> The only common theme would be the generic networking code.

Interesting bit of information:

We had a Cisco ATM -> 100BaseT switch that just died. I had a dual P5/200
using the tulip driver on the same ethernet segment. With kernel 2.1.122 it
was averaging about 2-3 hours uptime before it would die nasty. ( lock:
completely unresponsice, or net layer would die: no pings, but could still
logon console )

I couldn't figure it out.

Then the Cisco box died. We replaced it with a HP 4000 stack. Now the box
has been running ever since the switch was replaced ( 2 days ). I was
curious about that, so I check to see what was different:

I'm not getting any of these any more:

Sep 8 17:51:40 angband kernel: eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned
multiple buffers, status 7fffceff!
Sep 8 17:51:40 angband kernel: eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned
multiple buffers, status 063185a2!

Food for thought.

--Jack

Wishing without work is like fishing without bait.
-- Frank Tyger
====-=-==== Jack (John) Cummings == cummings@nyquist.ee.ualberta.ca ====-=-====
========== for pgp public key --- finger the above address, and pray ==========