Re: Sound on AlphaStation200 problem > 2.1.115

Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@sonera.fi)
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 21:43:54 +0300 (EEST)

alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) wrote:
> mgilbert@oit.umass.edu wrote:
> > and 2.1.115 with sound:
> >
> > Sound initialization started
> > <MSS audio codec (CS4231)> at 0x534 irq 9 dma 3,3
> > Sound initialization complete
> >
> > I can successfully compile, but not boot 2.1.116
> > through 2.1.122pre3 with sound:
> >
> > <MSS audio codec (CS4231)> at 0x534 irq 9 dma 3,3
> > (hangs forever)
>
> Curious. I dont think that can be sound causing the problem directly
> however because the only sound changes between .115 and .116 were
> documentation updates. I don't know enough about Alpha's to speculate
> what is going on here.

Does this happen with modular sound ?

> My guess however is that the code for initialising the built in ES1888
> sound card on some Alphas is perhaps causing problems with some
> machines since it was added in 2.1.116. There are also some Alpha specific
> irq routing changes in there.

Propably not, as ES1888 initialization code is used only by
MIATA machines, and AS200 isn't one of those. The code was
rearranged, and that initialization code was moved outside
the MIATA system specific file. Nothing new in there.