Re: 2us Interrupt latency's for Linux 2.0.xx

Stephen Williams (steve@icarus.com)
Wed, 02 Sep 1998 09:11:11 -0700

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Manoj Apte wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was doing some test on interrupt latency (time from raising an
> interrupt to reading timestamp
> in a handler). I created my own fast handler registered at IRQ32 (
> interrupt is generated by
> the APIC timer on a Ppro 200) that gives me a latency of approx 2300
> nanoseconds

This roughly corresponds to experiences I had with real hardware. I
have PCI cards that generate interrupts. I measure the time that the
INTA# signal is held low. My driver (most sane drivers) clear the IRQ
source pretty early in the ISR. On my P166 Cyrix, the INTA# is about
6uSec.

Under NT, on the exact same computer, with the same hardware in the
same slot, I get numbers more on the order of 60uSec. This is an important
selling point.

steve@icarus.com              But I have promises to keep,
steve@picturel.com            and lines to code before I sleep,