Re: 2.1.120pre2: Bug in strnicmp() noted in 2.1.119pre1 is still there!

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 13:58:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Eloy A. Paris wrote:

> Uhhmmm, excuse my ignorance, but why the goto's? Why not tu place the
> appropiate return statement in place of the goto's?

I've had this question twice now, so I'll cc the mailing list.

The reason for the goto's is that I like my loops to be simple and clear,
and when I look at the assembly output I am more convinced of a good loop
if I can see it in a small window.. The goto's essentially make the loop
itself be small, and moves the final checks completely outside the loop.

A good compiler would do that for me, but helping the compiler is always
good.

Linus