Re: Networkhood file system

Jauder Ho (jauderho@transmeta.com)
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 01:43:14 -0700 (PDT)

Well, AFS has done distributed filesystems for years and it works
okay along with ACLs. But there is a lot of associated crud that comes
with such an implementation. UMich has one of the biggest AFS
installations out there and it is absolutely amazing that stuff works as
well as it does there but there is an entire team dedicated to its care
there.

There's JINI by Sun which kinda aims to do what is proposed here.
I haven't taken much of a look at it but it seems possible aside from the
fact that it uses Java. It's actually a sort Catch-22 situation.
Broadcasting is a Bad Thing but you need to broadcast with some regularity
to advertise your services. Maybe multicast? What we need is a fast enough
network that broadcasting does not degrade performance too much :)

Building this on top of DNS is iffy. DNS is convulated enough
without tacking on another data type but I guess with DDNS and maybe a
SERVICE record type, it could work but it comes back to the problem of
knowing who to ask in the first place unless you are proposing that DNS
answer to broadcast requests. LDAP is not feasible. I am a big fan of LDAP
but using it for this purpose would be a gross misuse. This information is
too dynamic. LDAP is basically a database or a db file with a whole bunch
of preindexed fields for quick lookup. Reindexing every time some new
machine announces a service would be unacceptable esp. since reindexing is
very resource intensive. But yes, technically it is feasible. I do agree
that any system that is used needs to announce service rather than host.
But there needs to be abitration as to who the authorative machine is for
that resource. Of course this opens a huge can of worms for
man-in-the-middle attacks =)

--Jauder