Re: upcalls, timing and linux

Ulrich Drepper (drepper@cygnus.com)
29 Aug 1998 08:54:48 -0700

Paul Barton-Davis <pbd@Op.Net> writes:

> Although I could implement this stuff for Linux pretty quickly, I thought
> I'd ask first if anyone has any thoughts on whether this is actually
> worthwile for any other contexts that the example I'm working on.

As you certainly know scheduler activations are great for thread
implementations which implement not only on kernel threads. If the
scheduler activations are implemented correctly I'd love to use it for
a new thread implementation. But there are several difficulties (like
FPU state) which I'm not sure how you can handle it.

Anyhow, if you start doing this I'd appreciate to be able to take a
look at the design so that I can possibly make some suggestions.