Re: NCR driver problem on Alpha

Michael Alan Dorman (mdorman-linux-kernel@debian.org)
28 Aug 1998 08:46:31 -0400

"Steven N. Hirsch" <shirsch@adelphia.net> writes:
> I am having terrible problems with the 3.0 series of drivers on an Alpha
> UDB. They work perfectly under Intel Linux (I have C810a-based adapters
> in two different boxes - one an SMP), so I'm wondering if this is a fluke
> in the UDB hardware.
>
> It boots in 2.1.117, but blows up fairly quickly with an endless cascade
> of time-outs on /dev/sdb. Eventually, it tries a reset, pauses, and just
> continues spitting out the same messages. This continues until
> power-down.

Just as a data point, I'm running 2.1.118 on a UDB with no issues.
It's not the most heavily loaded machine in the universe, but I have
done some fairly big compiles that necessitated a lot of swapping with
this kernel.

I'm using the following options:

CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX=y
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=8