Re: Implementing Meta File information in Linux

Hans Reiser (reiser@idiom.com)
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 03:47:49 -0700

Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 14:16:46 -0700, Hans Reiser <reiser@idiom.com>
> said:
>
> > You might consider that storing dynamically allocated meta-data is
> > much easier to add to reiserfs (we designed with it as a goal).
>
> I'd add here that in fact, reiserfs is a good reason NOT to implement
> metadata. By making it so much more efficient to store
> metainformation through hidden subdirectories, reiserfs allows the
> whole thing to be implemented in user space. That by itself is a good
> reason for not doing it in the kernel!
>
> --Stephen

I was going to respond to this, but then I realized I didn't have a solid definition
of the desired semantics, which I would need before I could intelligently respond
to the issue of whether namei() should be altered in its functionality.

Hans