Re: Virtual Machines, JVM in kernel, hot-swapped kernel

John G. Alvord (jalvo@cloud9.net)
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 01:42:01 GMT

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998 13:32:10 +0200 (CEST), Tomasz Rola
<rtomek@cis.com.pl> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
>
>Hello again. I'm sorry for this awful delay but I'm almost always in hurry
>:-).
>

>> In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980821010156.25221B-100000@localhost>, Tomasz Rola
>> wr
>> ites:
>> +-----
>> | I've been looking for some online materials about virtual machines on IBM
>> | System 360 and found almost nothing (I know, it was long long ago...). In
>> +--->8
>>
>> S\360 didn't have virtual machines. S\370 did.

A short historical note... The first IBM virtual machine operating
system was implemented on a specially built 360/40 with a CAT (Cambridge
Address Translator... equivalent to a TLB). That was in 1965. A few
years later, IBM introduced the 360/67. There was an official operating
system named TSS and a renegade named CP/67. From whence derived
VM/370.VM has been available on most IBM mainframes up to the current
day. So, it even predates Unix by a 4-5 years.

john alvord
CDs @ http://www.cruzio.com/~billpeet/MusicByCandlelight