Re: 2.1.118 Tons of oopes

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 16:27:48 -0700

Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 08:21:28 +1000
From: Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.csiro.au>

David S. Miller writes:
> So that people don't "only recompile their drivers" and the driver
> code actually get updated and fixes done by or sent to the maintainer!

Sigh. Maybe people don't understand my question. Let me ask it another
way: did you want people to go in and manually insert NULL for the new
flush() method and then go and recompile? If so, how is that better
then automatic structure initialisation to NULL?

Because, pinhead, this way you go look and see what the hell it is,
and consider "Hey, do I need a flush() operation?" Instead of "a-huh,
it compiled, it must work and be ok with the changes made this kernel
release... uh-huh"

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com