Re: booting RAID partitions

Etienne Lorrain (lorrain@fb.sony.de)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 16:42:57 +0001

MOLNAR Ingo <mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Etienne Lorrain wrote:
> > That is not correct, lilo can deal with every disk
> > recognised by BIOS and load a stripped kernel.
>
> AFAIK lilo can not read from multiple disks _at once_.
> It can say read from disk-A and from disk-B, but not
> from both at once.

Hi,

You can "fed to lilo's chainloader" each 512 bytes sector
individually referencing their own (BIOS) disk - I know
this part.

By default, (i.e. without "compact" option), each block of
the chainloader load one hardware block of the disk (and
so ask the disk geometry to BIOS and calculate the correct
sector depending of the number of heads reported...).

The problem with RAID is that it is "below" VFS, and
you cannot apply the formula (as I think lilo do):
foreach inode in file
LBA_sector = inode * fs_block_size / hd_block_size
+ partition_start

For PC, hd_block_size = 512, partition_start from the MBR.

I was just asking if there is a better way to get
the real sector, i.e. value of LBA_sector.

Thanks,
Etienne.

--
-- The world belong to its organizer.