AW: Question about the availibility of a capability?

Welwarsky, Matthias (Matthias.Welwarsky@Dresdner-Bank.com)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 09:35:43 +0200

Most of the software tends to stick to the FSSTND, though. User
executable binaries goe into /bin, /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin, helper
applications into /usr/libexec, variable data into /var or /var/local,
configuration files into /etc and so on. That way a package manager can
easily keep track of the installation of a package.

> Package managers have helped the situation but they are
> useless once one starts to upgrade one's system with updated programs
> compiled from its source.

For the systems I manage I just refuse to install packages out of
the control of the package manager. If a program is not available in
packaged form, well, building RPM .spec files is not too difficult ;-) You
have to configure/compile/install the software anyway, keeping track of this
process through RPM is a Good Thing (tm).

> I figure the best way the start to aliviate this
> situation would be to be able to monitor the create of new files,
> installation of files, and the modification of old files.

The filesystems (ext2 at least) keeps track of access- and
modification times of all files. "find" is your friend.

Gruss,
Matthias