Re: de4x5.c patch against 2.1.117

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 20:19:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 07:45:58PM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> My arguments for a userspace solution are mainly that by putting it
> in userspace, we can support newer, slightly different types of
> hardware more easily (assuming they conform to the same driver
> interface as an existing driver) and that we don't need to keep
> tables of all the different cards types in the kernel (although,
> arguable, this could be marked __init).

Just because something can be done in userspace doesnt necessarily mean it
should, though. There are places where its entirely appropriate, eg the
new PCI interface and 'lspci' approach which Ive been advocating for some
time. (Not that I have any influence :-)

As I said, IMHO there should be some happy medium between 100% kernelspace
PnP support, and no PnP support at all, that we can all agree on. :-)

-Dan