Re: de4x5.c patch against 2.1.117

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 19:13:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> I think now that the retail cost of PCI cards is nor approaching that
> for ISA, we will start to see more and more hardware become PCI only,
> even perhaps modems (many soundcards are PCI now).

Most PCI cards tend to be ~50% more expensive than PnP ISA ones. So there
are big economic reasons to go ISA, even though it is antiquated.

Linux has never really supported PnP, and now I hear people trying to
avoid _any_ support entirely. Gah.

I thought the point of Linux was to try to support as much hardware as
possible, even broken ones (eg Intel EtherExpress).

A good percentage of multimedia cards are PnP. In fact most recent
soundchips (CS423x, ESS18xx) are PnP. Motherboards come with PnP
soundchips embedded. And Linux doesnt really support any of them :-/

Is it any wonder why multimedia support on Linux still lags...

-Dan