Re: de4x5.c patch against 2.1.117

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:28:10 +1200

On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 09:57:27AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Quite frankly, PnP as a standard sucks. Anything that just reads
> the PnP standard and tries to force that on Linux will be most
> definitely ignored.

Since M$ and Intel have agreed more or less to kill ISA, how much PnP
stuff is really needed in the kernel long term?

So far, the only convincing argument for putting PnP (ISA PnP anyhow)
in the kernel is to make certain NICs work, but in machines I have
access too - the BIOS does this anyway.

What exactly in kernel PnP required for? I don't even this Winduhs
does PnP in the kernel entirely, it looks to me like its controlled
from userland using kernel stubs.

-cw