Re: CLONE_PID (was Re: Potential Threads security bug with LinuxThreads)

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:18:31 +1200

On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 11:08:41AM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:

> Another thing it should do is to broadcast all uid/gid/euid etc.
> changes to all other threads that share the pid. Currently Linux
> has "per thread permissions", that differs from all other Unixes I
> know and it is a potential security problem.

I know I'm totally naive and out of my depth here, but why can't we
just make whats current called a process thread, and have a common
process structure parenting each thread for 2.3.x?

Sure, this will break stuff - most of /proc and lots of other things.
But it would then allow true kernel threads, where signals were sent
to the threads structures parent, the process, etc.

It would also require moving stuff for getrusage, etc. into the
thread context in part, and leaving other parts in the process
context and on the whole make life rather nasty to start with.

Perhaps thread IDs and process IDs need to share the same namespace,
so where you get details on a process its the aggregate for all
threads for fields like CPU time?

But, once this has been done, and big chunks of userland fixed, the
end result would be more elegant?

-cw