Re: ide-scsi multiplies cd-roms for quite some time...

Janos Farkas (Janos.Farkas-nouce/priv-#HrJ87tAml7G2sb.57i/0e5yXRhK@lk9qw.mail.eon.ml.org)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:54:03 +0200

On 1998-08-26 at 23:31:04, Gadi Oxman wrote:
> This is actually a feature rather than a bug :-)
>
> The cdrom is being detected 8 times since the kernel was compiled with
> the 'Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device' option, and most ATAPI
> devices ignore the LUN field and respond to each LUN.

Aha! That must be it, indeed.

> However, multi-lun ATAPI devices do exist. An ATAPI PD-CD device will
> be detected as a SCSI disk drive on LUN 0 and as an ATAPI cdrom on LUN
> 1.

Ok, then very few things can be done about it, and probably none of it
is really ide-scsi specific... Unless there is a hint on these devices
that the LUN handling is not complete. With these small sample I can
see (maybe 2-3 hosts) I can't say it's really a common case.
Maybe the SCSI subsystem could be prepared to detect identical devices
by serial numbers? Although that doesn't sound too healthy... I guess
very few people has broken and non-broken devices (LUN-wise) in the same
system.

--
Janos - Don't worry, my address is real.  I'm just bored of spam.