Re: Question about the availibility of a capability?

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 12:42:05 +0100 (GMT/BST)

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Anthony Barbachan wrote:

> I'd like to know if there is currently a way to monitor the creation and/or
> modification of new or old files. One of the very few annoyances of UNIX
> systems is that programs tend to spred their files throughout various
> directories. Package managers have helped the situation but they are
> useless once one starts to upgrade one's system with updated programs
> compiled from its source.

I used to just touch a file, then after a "make install" I used
a find -newer to see what was installed. Then I hacked my ginstall
to look for an INSTALL_SHADOW=/path/name in the environment and
install to there as well as /. Works great except that I keep
having to hack the damn mkinstalldirs scripts to punt to "ginstall -d".
I also use a depot style package manager that allows these separate
package trees to be installed using links, symlinks, copies etc.
and which sorts out the latest version from all the possibilities
supplied by installed package trees to use. Great for installing
and removing packages and versions of packages over each other.
One day I might get round to updating it to something useful to
other people as well (i.e. support binary rpms).

Mike

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:mike@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |
|  RG40 1XG, ENGLAND            |  Fax:        +44 118 989 1195        |