Re: 2.1.117: mcdx drives me nuts

Erik Andersen (andersen@inconnect.com)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 00:10:01 -0600

On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 at 08:20:57PM +0200, Ragnar Hojland Espinosa wrote:
> > I get around 150 K/s with the double speed drive. AMD 486/100 on an old
> > EISA/ISA board, 16 MB RAM. That's only about half of the expected rate.
> > I transferred 64 MB using 'dd' and 'time'. Is there a better way to do
> > measurements?
>
> Not that I know of. And, besides, dumb DOS copy does give 300 Kb/sec.
> Heiko said he did get this speed when he finished the driver, so I have no
> idea on whats going on. So I can see two possibilities
>
> - Someone changed the driver without testing the results
> - Something in the kernel is slowing it down
>
> I might go back to old kernels and see if/where is the change.

As far as I know, the only person that has touched mcdx between 2.0.x
and 2.1.x was me. That was when I converted it to using the uniform
cdrom driver. It certainly has continued to worked after the port, but
I never ran any speed check after my changes. I think that I made the
changes to mcdx (and mcd and most of the other cdrom drivers) about
2.1.70, with a couple of minor updates after that (2.1.78 maybe?).
Anyway, how is mcd working for you? Does it also show the speed
problems? It may well be I did something stupid to acidentally turn off
double speed or something... Feel free to take a look at my changes, and
let me know if you see anything suspicious.

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org