Re: Out of ptys

Tue, 25 Aug 1998 22:33:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Horst von Brand wrote:

> "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com> said:
>
> [...]
>
> > As previously reported to the glibc folks, glibc allows a write to
> > a closed file descriptor.
>
> Closed file _descriptor_, as in 1, or _stream_, as in stdout? If the
> former, glibc just passes the write(2) along to the kernel, and has nothing
> more to do with it. If the later, you can blame glibc.

[SNIPPED]
This was not the case at all. The bug was first reported when it was
observed that the inetd, which dups() the connected socket to fds 0,1,2
before spawing a child, was creating children such as telnet, etc., that
could continue to write to "stdout" after the link was disconnected and
the original socket closed.

I duplicated the effect using only the 3 basic fds so I could show the
problem. This was rejected as "normal" although libc-N didn't have that
problem. This was about a year ago so I don't have the demo code anymore.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.115 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).