Re: copy_from_user() fixu

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 18:20:42 +1200

On Mon, Aug 24, 1998 at 04:38:47PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> No, it's not. EFAULT is non-POSIX: it exposes the difference
> between system calls and library functions.

EFAULT is used in the Unix98 spec.

I've got code that pretty much expects EFAULT to work one way or
another. Arguably, the code is broken, but so far it works on most
OSs I've tried it one.

> EFAULT is triggered by the same thing as SIGSEGV; the distinction
> is artificial.

People who want this, should hack their libc so check for a global
variable and SEGV. (Assuming libc can be made do this cleanly, I
think it can, but haven't follow this thread that closely).

-cw