Re: Large numbers of files.

Mon, 24 Aug 1998 18:19:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 6 Aug 1998 16:56:57 -0400 (EDT), "Richard B. Johnson"
> <root@chaos.analogic.com> said:
>
> > You can make a directory that is too large to be read with the usual
> > tools. If you run this program, I'd suggest that you mount a "scrap"
> > disk on /tmp, because you might have to use mke2fs to fix the mess.
>
> The program you include uses 1k of disk space for the data and one inode
> for every file it creates. It's pretty much guaranteed to run out of
> inodes before it runs out of anything else. However, I've used your
> code and modified versions of it to try to reproduce the problem, and
> everything works just fine for me when running out of either inodes or
> blocks on the disk.
>
> Is there anything special you are doing? I can't see how this can be
> happening, I can't reproduce it and I've never seen it reported before.
>
> --Stephen

Nothing special. If I mount 1.2Gb, newly-created, ext2, empty file-system,
then make all those directories. The machine will be completely dead in
about 5 minutes, the time it takes for the disk activity to stop. This is
on version 2.1.115.

Then, after I reboot and `fsck` everything, the file-system with all
those directories is "mountable". However I can't read anything
on it, I can't see what is happening (where it's waiting) because
2.1.115 doesn't have WCHAN any more. Then, if I reboot to dismount it
(won't dismount because its busy) and run `fsck` on it, `fsck` finds about
everything wrong and never completes.

There are screens and screens of inode-numbers that scroll for several
hours. `Fsck` isn't interruptable at that time. The machine is usable
from another tty so I can reboot. However, the scratch file-system
is destroyed.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

Penguin : Linux version 2.1.115 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).