Re: pre egcs-1.1 testing and Linux 2.1.x

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:03:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Hmm. I also have some patches (code generation and C++ bug fixes,
> better ix86 code for 64-bit arithmetic, __builtin_constant_p in inline
> functions).

Please, please, please..

The "__builtin_constant_p()" in inline functions would have some things
about 20 times easier to optimize for. Right now it's a very useful
feature, but it is rather nasty syntactically because you have to hide it
inside these macros that easily get to be fairly convoluted..

Linus