Re: pre egcs-1.1 testing and Linux 2.1.x

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 13:43:55 -0700

Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 13:39:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, David S. Miller wrote:
> Don't make false claims. Kenner in this case did in fact disable a
> feature instead of fixing the problem.

Btw, David, back then you had righteous indignation that he tried
to do that.

Because in that particular case Kenner disabled something in all
cases, when in fact he and the rest of us knew the problem he was
solving was only relevant in one case. And this is what Rth's version
of the fix took care of.

In this case nobody has a clear understanding of the set of cases
where the regparm feature will generate incorrect code. And we can't
make the same kinds of decisions until that set of cases becomes a
known instead of an unknown. (you don't even know, this is why you
check the compilers output when you try to use it in a new place)

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com