Re: copy_from_user() fix

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
23 Aug 1998 12:03:55 +0200

In article <19980823145142.A585@castle.nmd.msu.ru>,
Savochkin Andrey Vladimirovich <saw@msu.ru> writes:
> --LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X

> Linus,

> I've reimplemented the fix according to Richard's suggestions.

Wouldn't it be better to do the zeroing out of line? EFAULT isn't a
path worth optimizing for, and doing it with inline code in .fixup for
every copy bloats the kernel a lot. I think it would be better to just put a
call to a common zero function into .fixup.

As some data: my current kernel contains about 215 __copy_*_user() calls,
if you only add 30 bytes per call then that is about 6KB alone.

-Andi