Re: Is it possible to assign SCSI device names?

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 20:44:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, David Lang wrote:

> sounds like an application for devfs.

Or, to give the usermode alternative, SCSIDEV.

SCSIdev will scan your bus and create device entries
with the _name_ of the device (opti, foobar2x; you name
it) on bootup. Run it after mounting / read/write and
then acces the device nodes by name...

> On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 getrpml@terrorist.math.ntu.edu.tw wrote:
>
> > Ladies and Gentlemen:
> >
> > I remember reading a proposal to do something similar to what
> > I desire. Has anything taken place w.r.t. that suggestion?
> >
> > My problem:
> >
> > I have an AHA-3985 3-channel SCSI-2 RAID controller. It seems
> > to be equivalent to three separate AHA-2940's with three AIC7870 chip
> > channels and the AIC7810 chip is unused. I have several (narrow) SCSI
> > drives, a CD-ROM, a CD-RW, and an 230MB MO drive. The machine is fine
> > and working hard at the moment, but the problem is that my MO drive is
> > in an external enclosure and is sometimes used with other machines.
> >
> > * Since only the A channel on the AHA-3985 has an external 50
> > pin connector, I have to connect my MO to the A channel.
> >
> > * Since I want to split up my hard drives between the channels
> > AND the kernel always scan the A channel before the B and C
> > channels, the MO appears as /dev/sdb when it is in use, and
> > pushes my next hard drives into /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd. But
> > When the MO is not there, the hard drives become sdb/sdc.
> >
> > * Is there some way I could rearrange the names of devices?
> > I feel particularly compelled because I want to experiment
> > with soft RAID devices.
> >
> > * Rest of my stuff: dual PPro 200, SuperMicro P6DNE, 192MB,
> > cheap SB16 clone sound, cheap generic NE2000 ISA NIC.
> >

> > -
> > Please read the FAQ at http://www.altern.org/andrebalsa/doc/lkml-faq.html

> -
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.altern.org/andrebalsa/doc/lkml-faq.html