Re: 2.1.117: mcdx drives me nuts

Erik Andersen (andersen@inconnect.com)
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 23:40:06 -0600

On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 10:55:04PM +0200, Hans-Joachim Baader wrote:
> Hi,
>
> any mcdx users still out there? ;-) I have a problem which I cannot
> fix myself...
>
> On kernel 2.1.11x the mcdx driver often hangs when attempting to
> mount a CD, especially during the boot process. It doesn't hang if
> the drive is empty, but in that case I get funny error messages.
> I have compiled mcdx as a module, I didn't try mcd. Here's the
> message from insmod:
>
> * mcdx Version 2.14(hs) for 2.1.117
> * mcdx $Id: mcdx.c,v 1.21 1997/01/26 07:12:59 davem Exp $
> * mcdx: Mitsumi CD-ROM installed at 0x300, irq 10. (Firmware version D 2)
>
> An unsuccessful mount attempt (no CD in drive):
>
> * VFS: Disk change detected on device 14:00
> * end_request: I/O error, dev 14:00 (Mitsumi CD-ROM), sector 64
> * isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=14:00, iso_blknum=16, block=32
>
> The first line is obviously nonsense. On the console the following
> message is printed by mount:
>
> * mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mcdx0,
> * or too many mounted file systems
>
> This should be simply "No CD in drive".
>
> When a CD is inserted, a mount attempt usually fails 3 or 4 times:
>
> * VFS: Disk change detected on device 14:00
> * mcdx do_request() attempt to read from audio cd
> * end_request: I/O error, dev 14:00 (Mitsumi CD-ROM), sector 64
> * isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=14:00, iso_blknum=16, block=32
>
> The second line doesn't always appear. Coudn't the driver be changed
> so that it attempts to read the CD several times and only reports an
> error after the last attempt has been unsuccessful?
>
> And BTW it would be nice if the command line parameter 'mcdx=' could
> be changed to 'io=' and 'irq=' for the compiled-as-module case.
>
> It's a Mitsumi FX001D (double speed) on a Mitsumi controller card.
> Old EISA board. No problems (at least no hangs) with 2.0.x.
> Other hardware should be irrelevant.
>
> hjb

I have a few more bugs to fix up in some of the other cdrom drivers, and
then I'll be plugging in my mitsumi drive (also an FX001D) and taking a
look. I'll see what I can do to clean it up. Of course if you are handy
with a compiler, I'd be delighted to see you or somebody else fix it.
Otherwise, I'll fix it when I get some free time. BTW, it doesn't work
under SMP. It will lock up solid so I hope you compiled UP. You at least
have a vague hope of making it work that way...

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org