Re: Ulimit Probrems with Linux

Marc Slemko (marcs@znep.com)
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 20:10:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 brian@nycrc.net wrote:

> I tried ulimit -v and it kept saying
>
> ulimit: cannot raise limit: Invalid argument
>
> I am running bash 1.14.7. I took a look at the source

Well, that is your shell's issue. 2.01.1(1) works fine on 2.1.107.

[...]
> Do you know what equivalent setrlimit goes with ulimit -v.
> I checked the manual page on setrlimit and there is an argument
> for RLIMIT_DATA, RLIMIT_STACK, RLIMIT_RSS which correspond
> to ulimit -d, -s, and -m but there is not one for ulimit -v.

RLIMIT_VMEM.

> I also noticed that allocation of data blocks larger than
> 128k would go into 0x400????? memory address space and the
> blocks smaller than 0x804????? memory address space. So
> they are definitely in different places. My question is

Yes. As I said, it is mmap()ing larger regions. That is not on the heap,
so it isn't counted against RLIMIT_DATA.

RLIMIT_VMEM is for the total mapped address space, including that on
the stack (ie. data segment, ie. set by brk(2)) and that allocated by
mmap(2).