Re: NAT 4 Linux (project)

David Lang (dlang@diginsite.com)
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 16:24:28 -0700 (PDT)

round robin DNS spreads the load but not evenly (of course neither does
this simple version) but the idea of being able to direct traffic to a
particular server based on the URL has all sorts of possibilities.

i.e.

machine 1 is your images server, all URL's directed to *.gif *.jpg
are on this server

machine 2 is your static HTML server, all URL's *.htm, *.html go to this
server.

machines 3 and 4 are your CGI servers, all URL;s *.cgi go to this server.

end result html pages are blindingly fast reguardless of load, images may
be slightly slower, but still fairly independent of load, and cgi load is
spread across multiple machines and does not impact performance of static
items.

David Lang