Re: NAT 4 Linux (project)

Paul Wouters (paul@xtdnet.nl)
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 23:36:04 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Michael Hasenstein wrote:

> version of it could be used for their purposes. They wanted to have a
> setup, where a NAT router distributes HTTP requests to different
> (physical) web servers based on the user id of who's homepage is
> requested, e.g. http://www.blabla.com/a-user/ starts with 'a' (a-user)
> -> to server for homepages of users with 'a...'.
> There were some additional points about bandwith and cabling, why they
> wanted to separate the requests like this.

I am probably missing something here. Why would you built something to
split up requests like this when it's a thousandfold easier to just do
some round robin DNS to divide the load? If NFS mounted disks on the
servers is too slow, i am sure some smart mirroring ultrawide scsi with
a fast network setup could fix that too.

Paul