Re: Out of ptys??

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
20 Aug 1998 11:10:17 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.19980818034610.C1885@loria.fr>,
Olivier Galibert <galibert@pobox.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 17, 1998 at 04:37:08PM -0700, david parsons wrote:
>> ____
>> david parsons \bi/ If I have to replace everything on my network to
>> \/ upgrade to 2.2, that's a pretty compelling argument
>> to never upgrade again.
>
>If you don't expect to have some things to change when going from 1.2
>to 2.2, especially when said change is only having to run a script
>(MAKEDEV), you should try another OS.

I don't think you understand my circumstance. Today, I run 2.0.27
on my production machines (with a WebShield between them and the
outside world, so icky bad packets don't get in), but occasionally
have to boot into 1.2.13 so I can read SGI-formatted tapes. If I
have to run MAKEDEV _every_ _single_ _time_ _I_ _reboot_ _my_
_machine_ so ptys will work, this is a kludge of massive
proportions.

At least it's possible to use devfs on the 2.1 kernels, which puts
the published interface at a level where application programs don't
have to go through magic userspace glue to get at them; If devfs
was in the baseline kernel, I'd stop caring if the pty majors and
minors changed. But it's not, and it's somewhat distressing to have
to use 3rd party patches to maintain a usable published interface.

>Just that I don't know which one.

If I was going to switch operating systems, I'd pick FreeBSD. They
seem fairly conservative about kernel interface hackery.

____
david parsons \bi/ ... but given the choice, I'd rather not spend the
\/ effort porting all my tools to Yet Another Unix.