Re: arla, an AFS implementation

Jim Nance (jlnance@avanticorp.com)
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 09:00:58 -0400

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 11:44:22AM +0100, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:

> Arla is a free AFS client implementation. Look at :

> Can someone post more info on it ?
> Like how does it perform under Linux ( compared to NFS ) ?
>
> As I understand , there is no server yet :-(

I have been using it here for a few weeks. I have been extreamly
pleased with it. I am using it on both a Sparc and intel machine,
both running 2.1.11X kernels. The stability seems pretty good. I have
had a few problems on the intel machine, but its hard to tell if they are
due to arla or the result of other problems in the development kernels
(for example I am also having problems with the automounter). On the Sparc
I have been running an arla snapshot for several weeks and its been rock
solid.

A man named Magnus Ahltorp seems to be one of the main developers, and he
was most helpful when I was setting things up.

Some things to watch out for:
1) If you are running a glibc based Sparc, all SUID/SGID applications
will die if anything is in the file /etc/ld.so.preload. This has
nothing to do with arla, exectp that arla comes with a getcwd.o
library that they suggest you put in /etc/ld.so.preload. Dont do it
on the Sparc.
2) You will have to set install kerberos before you can build/use
arla. This is export controlled.
3) I have had some problems with make -j not working correctly in
arla directories.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Jim Nance                                                 Avant! Corporation
(919) 941-6655    Do you have sweet iced tea?       jim_nance@avanticorp.com
                  No, but theres sugar on the table.