Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Linux-2.1.116..

Michael Lankton (satan3@home.com)
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 10:51:41 -0500

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> I spell color color,
> though I know that colour is more correct.

Not so if you're American.

> American is a dialect of english, and thus it has some differences. It's
> preety arogant we we say 'We spell it that way, so it's right'

Exactly. American English is a dialect, just like Canadian French is a
dialect of French and Mexican Spanish is a dialect of Spanish.
Languages tend to develop in different directions when the people
speaking them are seperated by thousands of miles of ocean. No one
would argue that Australians also have a distinct dialect, or for that
matter that the denizens of Britain are seperated by geographical
dialects as well. Scots don't sound like Welsh, etc..

> I actaully was a little supprised that Linus spelled it the way he did, I
> thought most of the world ended up learning bastardized American english
> so that they can understand our silly slang.

Most Europeans learn proper English. In three years of German at the
University, the 3 native Germans I studied under all sounded more
English than American when speaking English.

--
    .###.