[solution] 2.1.115 and Cyrix detection

Fuzzy Fox (fox@dallas.net)
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 01:14:33 -0500

Fuzzy Fox <fox@dallas.net> wrote:

> It *almost* looks like the CPUID instruction is not working. But why
> would it work when booting 2.0, but not 2.1??

I tried something different this time; I compiled my kernel without SMP.

Why was my kernel built with SMP, you ask? Well, it wasn't my idea.
Linux 2.1 seems to default to "SMP = 1", so I had to go in and turn it
off. Took me a while to figure that out.

So anyway, now I get this:

/proc/cpuinfo:
processor : 0
cpu family : 4
model : 6x86MX 2.5x Core/Bus Clock
vendor_id : CyrixInstead
stepping : 1.3
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
sep_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : -1
wp : yes
flags :
bogomips : 149.91

It looks a little bit better, but the "cpu family" is still 4, rather
than 6, and the "cpuid level" is still -1, instead of 1. Also there are
no "flags" listed for the cpu, like there should be.

Also, my boot message shows this:

CPU: Cyrix 6x86MX 2.5x Core/Bus Clock stepping 1.3

I don't understand how the system can get a "CyrixInstead" vendor_id out
of the chip if the "cpuid level" is -1. That doesn't make much sense.

--
   fox@dallas.net (Fuzzy Fox)      ||   "Her lips said 'No,' but her
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||    eyes said 'Read my lips!'"