Re: Solid v2.1.115 kernel lockup

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 21:23:51 -0400 (EWT)

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > I'll be testing the sound drivers in console mode (i.e not using X) later
> > on tonight to see if this makes any differences - if it does, it's a fair
> > bet that the X server is fscking something up).
>
> I'm quite sure that it is X, some actions (fdisk -l under 2.1.113)
> crash the system under X while they run perfectly when run in
> console mode. Even stranger: they run perfectly when _started_
> in console mode and continue running after switching back to X...

I just tested this in console, no X. System locked up pretty much
instantly during the playing of the sound.

I'm about to try Andreas' EPOX (removes the fast DMA lock/unlock pairs)
patch for dmabuff.c in the sound driver and test. If this works; is it
worthwhile adding a configure time option to the sound drivers menu of
make config to define a macro to #ifdef out the fast DMA lock/unlock pairs
for broken motherboards, and send a patch to Linus? Something like
"CONFIG_HAVE_A_STUPID_MOTHERBOARD?" :o)

Cheers,
Alex

--